deadline: 15 July 2011
PanAust Limited is a leading copper-gold producer in Southeast Asia. The company is registered on the Australian Securities Exchange and is a constituent of the benchmark S&P/ASX 200 Index. PanAust has its headquarters in Brisbane and holds mineral assets in the Lao PDR and Thailand. The Company’s major asset is the 2,636 square kilometre Phu Bia Contract Area located in the Lao PDR. PanAust’s interests in Laos are held via the Lao-registered company, Phu Bia Mining Limited (PBM). The Government of Laos has exercised a right to acquire a 10% interest in PBM. PanAust owns the remaining 90%. The Lao Government acquisition cost will be funded through its 10% share of future dividends paid by PBM.
Within the Phu Bia Contract Area, lies the Phu Kham Operation which comprises the large low-cost Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and a Heap Leach gold operation. Production of copper-gold concentrate at Phu Kham commenced in April 2008, transforming the Company into a significant copper concentrate producer. In addition to these two mineral assets, PanAust has identified several promising exploration targets within its Lao Contract Area and is undertaking a feasibility study at the Ban Houayxai gold-silver deposit. In northern Thailand, PanAust is undertaking a feasibility study at the Puthep Copper Project. The Company can earn a 51% interest in the Project by completing the study and has further options to acquire a total 60% to 70% interest. As at 31 December 2008, PanAust had a 33.17% interest in the Puthep Copper Project and, subject to a confirmatory audit, a right to a shareholding of 49%.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
- Embark on your new expatriate career with a growing mining company in Laos
- Geotechnical modeling, design and analysis for our significant open cut copper mine
- Attractive FIFO roster and conditions, modern camp facilities
This is an exciting time to join Phu Bia Mining. With our world class Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation in full production and a pipeline of new projects in Laos and Thailand, Phu Bia Mining is poised for significant growth. Join our team and play an important role in developing our workforce and shaping our future while enjoying the fabulous culture and landscape of Laos. We offer an attractive salary package and roster that includes travel in company time, as well as modern camp facilities.
This position is based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, an open cut mine located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital, Vientiane. Reporting to the Geotechnical Superintendent, you will be responsible for activities including the management and development of the Geotechnical Engineer, Supervisors and Technicians; structural rockmass and groundwater models (including ongoing design validation); and the design and analysis of geotechnical and hydrogeological drilling programmes. You will also have responsibility to act in the Geotechnical Superintendents role when required. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Geotechnical Engineer to step up to the next level and gain invaluable expatriate experience.
Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the relatively inexperienced, but very keen and willing, local Lao workforce. This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Continual design validation using mapping and drilling data collected by the engineers
- Monitoring, hydro, failure and testing databases (including data quality and analysis)
- Implementation of the geotechnical models into production improvement and risk management processes
- Planning drilling programmes using the geotechnical models
- Managing the operational geotechnical engineers in addressing both the short term risk and data acquisition
We are seeking:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Geology Engineering or similar
- Solid experience in Geotechnical Engineering, preferably in open pit mining
- Experience in slope stability and groundwater
- Previous slope design experience and groundwater modelling
- Strong working knowledge of Surpac or similar package
- Excellent communication skills including advanced verbal and written English skills
- Well developed leadership skills with the ability to train and mentor employees
Interested applicants should send their CV to the e-mail address below by 15 July 2011
Email: Recruitment.Expatriate@pbm.panaust.com quoting reference PKM- E0030 – Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Phu Bia Mining Limited, Sokpaluang Road, House No 218, Unit 12, Sisatthanak, Vientiane Lao PDR
For further information about our company, please visit our web site www.panaust.com.au
|Qualifications : Degree
Yr Exp : N/A
Job Location : Overseas
Monthly Salary Range : Not Specified
Job Type : Contract